Thread: Hello all
View Single Post
Old 09-16-2014, 11:04 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
FreeOwl

Originally Posted by MarathonMan View Post
I was on here a few months ago full of enthusiasm for not drinking...I got to 108 days, but in the end decided to have a couple of harmless drinks with a meal back at the end of May. It was a a pretty quick spiral downwards for me this time, much quicker than ever before, it was like I lost that little voice in my head that told me to back off a bit, I was back to drinking every day within about a week. I've had a pretty dark few months.

My wife is currently 6 months pregnant and I was reading articles about being a good dad and they all said basically the same thing. Be the man you want your kid to be. The thought of my son becoming the man I am currently makes me really sad. So I decided to re-commit to sobriety. I'm 7 days sober today. I mustered up the courage to go to AA and have done 2 meetings now although I've not really taken part at all, just listened.

Just wanted to say hello and ask you all to prey for me, me and my wife wanted a child for a long time and we're finally going to get it and I'm worried I'm going to mess up if I don't get my head on straight.
Welcome back Marathon Man.

Hit the trails a lot too.... running can be a huge help. Just don't use it as an "I've earned a few beers" excuse. I've done that a lot.

I'm a father of two. I wish I'd been sober the whole time. I bet I would have been an even better Daddy then. I'm proud of the Daddy I have been, even moreso now that I've chosen and honored sobriety.

You can do this and the gift it will be is not simply to your kids - it is to you. I promise you that every moment will be deeper, more meaningful, more intense and more rich and joyful when you are awake, aware, present and sober.

you're doing the right thing and we're here to help.