Thread: Help
View Single Post
Old 09-16-2014, 10:36 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
FreeOwl

this is gonna be a tough one.

your post tells me that the job you've started comes along with a hard-drinking culture of peers. I know very well from first hand experience the influence that brings. Even when we desperately WANT sobriety - it is incredibly difficult to pull out of it when we're surrounded with that sort of momentum to drink.

You mention being on the fence about AA.

I'd like to strongly suggest you make it part of your plan. At least for now. You're headed out of town to another location with a pack of hard-drinking work mates.

The only chance you really stand is to find and plan a clear alternative course of action. When everyone else knocks off to start knocking them back - if you don't already have plans that are clear and committed, you will default to the peer pressure and the habit.

So - look up AA meetings in the town you're going to be working in. Also look up gyms and get a membership arranged ahead of time. Look into interesting things in the area that you might like to check out; museums, nature hikes, waterfalls, points of interest, cathedrals... anything and everything that might catch your interest and take you to a non-drinking environement and then plan it.... down to the day.

You need to have it all ready to go so that when the pressure is on you can simply say "nah, thanks though guys I'll see you in the morning. I have plans.".

You can do this