View Single Post
Old 09-13-2014, 09:46 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  
Fly N Buy
Trudgin

Originally Posted by Newpathway View Post
I don't know how to create a new post so I will try and ask my question here. I turn 50 tomorrow and quit a 10 year daily drinking habit of 1 to 2 bottles of wine 7 weeks ago. I know I have come a long, long way since the first weeks but I still feel I have lots of healing to do....healing of my brain chemistry and healing of my body through nutrition and supplements.

But even though most days I feel a little better...Some days I feel not so much and those days usually end up with me resting physically and mentally since any activity makes me feel physically ill/stressed/anxiety. I've been cleared by a doctor and currently being treated for anxiety disorder which I believe can be healed over time as my brain heals and I change how I react to life.

My question is for anyone who may understand the healing nature of the brain. I like to understand for myself the process that is occurring but my Google searches haven't really shed much light on it.

"As the brain heals and there are good days and bad days....what is happening during the bad days?"

I have speculated that the brain is actually doing some healing that is causing some discomfort but is actually a good thing....but I'm just guessing. ...

Does anyone know about the actual healing process? I'd be very interested to know! ☺

Happy Birthday!!!!:

This is an article I found on internet. Has some good information, but again it was simply a google search ;

Brain Returning To Normal Function After Abstinence

So how long does it take to recover from alcohol brain damage? Unless there has been prolonged thiamine deficiency or liver failure leading to brain damage, a heavy drinker’s brain cells are still mostly intact – even though their brain may have shrunk temporarily due to alcohol abuse. Because alcohol doesn’t kill gray brain cells (except possibly in the parietal lobe), the bulk of an alcoholic’s cognitive ability will return after a period of abstinence or moderate drinking, and their brain size will return to normal.

Here is a list of cognitive functions and how long it takes for them to return (on average) after an alcoholic stops drinking (provided there is wet brain or heptic encephalopathy).

Return of Cognitive Functions

Acute Detox (Less than 2 weeks)
None
Early Abstinence (2 weeks – 2 months)
No longer experiencing mild confusion
Mild confusion
Reduced irritability
Reduced distractibility
Mid-Range Abstinence (2 months – 5 years)
Improved reaction times
Restored attention and concentration
Restored verbal learning ability, abstract reasoning, and short-term memory.
Long-Term Abstinence (7 years)
Restored non-verbal abstract reasoning ability
Restored mental flexibility
Restored nonverbal short-term memory
Potential improvement in Visuospatial abilities
Conclusion

Drinking heavily on a daily basis is not good for your health and can certainly lead to an early grave. It can also lead to severe healthy problems long after you’ve stopped drinking. But a lot of the information being passed around about alcohol and brain damage is outdated. This information can also be extremely disheartening to recovery alcoholics who are trying to cope with the effects of years of alcohol abuse.

The good news is that research has shown time and time again that most alcoholic brain damage can be reversed with prolonged sobriety, and even with prolonged periods of moderate drinking. Even those suffering from the early stages of Wet Brain can experience a full recovery with the right treatment and abstinence.

Sounds like HOPE!