View Single Post
Old 09-09-2014, 02:52 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  
Ananda

HI CG!

I'm not sure I would say I'm "feeling ok or good" about the shot ... It's scary on a number of different levels, some minor some bigger ... But SIL is coming and I see the doctor right before I go get the shot so we will have a plan

If you are considering vivitrol in shot form, keep in mind that the pre-approval by insurance can take 3-6 weeks. I have "blue cross blue shield" through the workplace, and my co-pay per shot is 75$. If insurance doesn't approve it the cost is about 1,500$ per shot ... outrageous.

I don't want to discourage you at all, but do want to share what I know about getting the shot. they inject the vivotral into the "fleshy part" of your butt. The first shot I was already so freaked I didn't notice the pain, but it is a very temporary pain as far as the injection goes ... I mean it only takes a few minutes, and hey I can handle pain for short term! LOL

My understanding is that basically they are injecting the drug in your muscle and it absorbs over the month into your system. This means, for me that I have a "lump" on my butt for that time. It can be sore. the last time I got the shot the injection nurse tried doing 1/2 on one side and 1/2 on the other ... I don't recommend this. It meant I couldn't find a sitting or sleeping position that was comfortable. That is one thing I will make clear with this new round ... just do it on one side so I can sleep and sit

For me, the arthritic type symptoms I got after the shot were the part I couldn't deal with. BUT ... apparently this is not a common side effect so that is probably ok.

The bottom line for me is that the "side effects" of alchohol are worse than those of the shot. And I think with the doctors help I can find a way to treat the achy arthritic pain and not have a problem.

It takes about 5 phone calls a month to get the shot stuff to the doctors office and get it all set up. It may be simpler depending on your insurance. My work place only knows that I have "health issues" and have been very encouraging that I do what I need to do to get the shot because the difference in my attitude and focus is so much greater when I do.... yeah not thinking about drinking, not drinking, all kinds of head stuff just is no longer an issue.

Wow ... it's a bit weird to talk about cause I know a lot of people think it's insanity to rely on something like a shot to insure sobriety (although god seems to be an ok lol). It's not magic. It is an aid and I'm just grateful to have it. There is also a pill form of this drug, but with my history of not being able to commit on a daily basis, the monthly shot is a workable solution. In fact, I have the pill form in my medicine cabinet and have never been able to just take the stupid pill once a day ... lack of commitment I suppose ... it is what it is.

Yeah ... I guess I'm ok with this. Scared, but tired of feeling like I'm one crisis away from a drink and looking over a cliff. I am an alcoholic. I will never be able to "drink successfully". Until my heart catches up with my head this will do

ok .. Rant over

Wish you all a great day! Gotta run.....