SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information - View Single Post - Thankful
Thread: Thankful
View Single Post
Old 09-08-2014, 07:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
toad

Thankful

“O Lord, who lends me life, lend me a heart replete with thankfulness. WILLIAM SHAKESPEARE

This morning my study takes me to the word “thankful.” I was amazed at the number of times it is found in the King James translation of the Bible. Only three times can the word thankful be found. The words thanks, thanksgiving, and thankfulness can be found more places, but the word thankful only three, Psalm 100:4, Romans 1:21, and Colossians 3:15. Being thankful is not something that can be forced upon us. Oh we can be commanded to give thanks, and instructed to say thank you, but being thankful is an inside job and no person, place or thing can make you thankful. In my life I find being thankful as an inner awareness of some situation or some relationship that is taking place in my life, that has blessed me in some way. I am learning to be thankful for situations and things in my life that don’t always seem at first to be a blessing. Many times around the tables of Alcoholics Anonymous I hear people introduce themselves as a grateful alcoholic. At first I could not understand how someone could be grateful that they were a drunk, until I planted both feet in the program and began to realize how God could take my weaknesses and turn them into strengths. Then I started to understand how I could be grateful for my shortcomings and weaknesses. I have learned that there is not any part of my life, no matter how bad, that God can’t use somehow to reach someone else in a like situation. And also there is not any situation past or present that God cannot use to shed light on my walk with the Lord today. You just got to be thankful. William Shakespeare asked the Lord to lend him a heart replete with thankfulness. Don’t hear much of the word replete today, so I looked it up. This is from Webster’s Dictionary, share this with me: “well-filled or plentifully supplied, stuffed with food and drink, gorged.” How about asking God to give us a heart stuffed and gorged with thankfulness. I have learned one thing about being thankful. And that is that being thankful I am sober, and the fact that God has used my past to help others, helps me stay sober. Thankfulness allows God to do for me what I could not do for myself.......toad

Patriot Guard Riders

2007 Road King Classic
96 C.I. Six-speed
Vivid black

"God is doing for me what I could not do for myself"
toad is offline   Reply With Quote