View Single Post
Old 09-05-2014, 10:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
evenkeel

Drama llamas in my family!

I'd posted on here a while back about dealing with my FIL (who died of complications due to alcoholism) and my wife. I'm still dealing with my wife, who got better for a short while and now is getting worse again.

I'm also having to deal with a MIL who developed a drinking problem after FIL died (and also has had a string of mentally abusive, alcoholic boyfriends), a BIL who is heavily addicted to cocaine, methadone, and god knows what else but now has apparently added heroin as well, and a SIL who has become a problem drinker since she quit her job in March. They all enable each other, down to BIL still living at home for free with mom and drug-addicted uncle.

I'm firmly of the "not my circus, not my monkeys" mindset and avoid them whenever I can but I can't escape it when my wife facilitates her family to our detriment or she lets herself get sucked into alcohol-induced family drama that I then have to listen to her complain about. She keeps telling me that I can't just ignore them for the rest of my life because they're family (wanna bet?) and even if I do, she won't. All things considered, wife's alcohol issues and family drama and all, I can't (don't want to?) put up with the crap anymore. At what point have others just thrown in the towel on the relationship? Any insight or suggestions?