Thread: ok
View Single Post
Old 09-05-2014, 06:45 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
samseb5351

Originally Posted by Creekryder View Post
I do not understand the problem of controlled drinking. I do it every time. I have a drink, reach out with my hand in control and grab another drink. When I finish that, I reconnect with my body and the muscular response again to grab another beer. This continues through the evening. Isn't that control?
I think the problem is the use of the word Control in general terms. If you really look at things we act and react, we get involved, we make choices, we even take responsibility But do we ever really Control things. I think the danger of using the word control is it can make things appear like control is on a level playing field, that the movement of your hand to mouth say on the second drink for an alcoholic is the same as the movement of the hand to drink a glass of water, there are clearly things happening differently in the brain for these two processes . But on the other hand I understand that in trying to take responsibility for sobriety it can be harmful to imagine when we drink or drug or gamble we are at the mercy of something moving the bottle to the glass and moving the glass to our mouth, as if we are passive bystanders under some mind control, that is also is not true. The question can become is the Control thing on a level playing field before we take the first drink, is the decision not to take a drink of alcohol the same as not to drink a glass of water?

I am not a RR person but my guess to an answer to this question is its not a decision I have to consider, because I don't drink, its kind of like asking a person with no left leg to kick a ball with his left foot, there is no decision to make.
I dont totally disagree with my RR friends on this framing of non drinker status, life for me at least is much easier being a non gambler then a recovering compulsive gambler.Sorry about the slight diversion on my topic here I am putting it down to my brain re-aligning itself after recently becoming a Non coffee drinker.