View Single Post
Old 09-04-2014, 06:53 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Altoids

I saw your post, FlynBuy. I've been in the same boat at AA. The first group I was in had STRICT guidelines for various positions, yet nobody with that time wanted to do them. I would volunteer all of the time, and was constantly shot down bc I didn't have the time. It never made sense to me. I was capable and able and willing. . . but bc I was 2 months short of the time, I didn't "qualify" so we did without some things. I did earnestly do the things I was qualified to do and loved it.

My current group isn't like that. Willingness goes a long way and they think getting people involved in the group's working is a huge plus for new folks. They just don't hand the keys over, but they love having someone wanting to be part of making the meetings happen. I love that.

One thing to remember is that the rooms are full of alcoholics who are working a program, too. They will step on toes, be sensitive, moody, and not get things right. Some days it will be you that is stepping on toes, being sensitive and moody. Try to give folks the benefit of the doubt that they aren't trying to upset you. They are there, the same as you, working their program.

Love your attitude about this, though. Being a doormat is never acceptable, but humility goes a long way.

Blessings.