View Single Post
Old 09-04-2014, 05:47 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
gleefan

Flynbunny - I saw your comments last night before we transitioned into a new thread. I don't know whether that well-known businessman was targeting you with his comments, but I do know what it's like to feel hypersensitive and ready to strike when something rubs me the wrong way. It was a way for me to stay safe growing up in a challenging environment, but as an adult, that behavior pattern has complicated my relationships and left me feeling lousy. For a while, I tried to stuff away my feelings, but that didn't work either. My feelings were still in charge. In recovery, I've discovered that the way I look at situations affects how I see them. If I use a lens of negativity, I see what's lacking or what's ticking me off. If I use a lens of gratitude, I can see all the good things in the exact same situation. I can see situations realistically, while enjoying what's good about them. For example, at work I can choose to focus on the slithery slippery comments made by a supervisor who rubs me the wrong way, or I can focus on doing work I enjoy with coworkers who keep the day pleasant. I hope that helps.

Off to womp it up with the PTO. I'm happy that I got wrangled by a friend to organize supplies for an upcoming fundraiser. It's nice to offer my help, plus I get to hang out with a really good friend this morning. Part of my plan to ward off falling into a depression is to make it a genuine effort to hang out every week with my good friends, whose company I truly enjoy. I spend a lot of time around a lot of people, but it's time engaged with good friends that keeps me buoyant. I'm proud that I'm taking care of myself by sticking to my depression-fighting protocol! I'm proud that I'm not giving up just because it's challenging to change my old behaviors.

Have a great day Undies!