View Single Post
Old 09-03-2014, 10:31 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
allforcnm

Originally Posted by audreyrose View Post
My daughter has been at Caron Renaissance since April 17th (Boca Raton, FL). As a parent, I am experiencing rehab fatigue. She is super smart but stubborn and slow to accept treatment. She has finally obtained a part time job. She continues in full day treatment. She is 19 years old. OMG!!! When will this end? (rhetorical question as I know its all up to her). These monthly big checks are getting ridiculous. I'm venting here my friends because I'm just frustrated and tired. This is her third rehab since Dec 26th 2013. Anyone have any similar experiences at CARON? She is not using drugs just slow to embrace recovery. She's wearing me down.
My qualifier here is my husband, but I will share our rehab experience with you in case it might help in some way. The research I did on rehabs showed that the longer the treatment the better the outcomes, as long as the treatment was specific to the individual’s needs.

My husband was inpatient for 90 days and along with the educational portion learning about addiction, group therapy with other patients, the rest was devoted to individualized therapy for him; looking at root causes for his addiction, his coping skills, teaching him cognitive behavioral techniques he would use when he came home to prevent relapse, lots of planning and confidence building, etc. So rehab was not just like taking a class and all is fixed and you have all the skills you will ever need. You learn the basics, if people are lucky to stay long enough they start putting the skills into practice, continue therapy and work on personal issues.

So when I read your daughter is going to classes full time, and will be starting a part time job; to me it sounds like she is engaging in treatment and making a valid effort, but at her age of 19 I also think about how drugs stifle growth and maturity… so she may not even be at an emotional age of 19 & that is still pretty young and a time of development. My husband was lucky because he was older, finished college, had a good job, a wife, a baby at home. His life was actually fairly well in place with only minor changes necessary to eliminate links to drug use. He now has almost 2 ½ years…. Your daughter is at an age where normally she would be learning to define who she is, and now she is also dealing with an addiction and the emotions this bring. I can see this causing a slower progression, some fear or reluctance on her part.

Im so sorry your going through this, and I understand your frustration, but I would have to say if she is getting quality care then the cost and time is most likely worth it. If you have concerns, I would ask for a meeting with one of her doctors (with her permission) to discuss the future plans, etc. My husbands rehab was very good about informing me, keeping me in the loop on progression – hopefully your daughter has approved for them to talk to you. As a parent and financial supporter I think you have the right to ask her for this access. Just my experience and opinion. Good Luck to both of you.