View Single Post
Old 09-03-2014, 10:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
MythOfSisyphus

Welcome to SR, Allin! It's possible that you're making it a bigger issue than it really is to them. Congrats on confronting your drinking- that's a big step! It can really improve or even save your life. I too worried what others would think when I quit. Initially I didn't talk about it or even tell anyone. I'll admit in addition to worrying if they'd be judging me I was afraid I'd look like a fool if I failed and started to drink again.

I learned quickly that most people don't pay much attention about it or really care. If you're always falling down drunk around them they'll probably be relieved to see a change in you. People that don't know you well probably won't notice or care. A small subset of people, your 'drinking buddies', will judge you and give you flak. Your drinking will threaten them. If everyone they know drinks they will feel better about their own drinking. But if you make a big show of quitting it will force them to confront their own drinking. Hmmm...Allin really doesn't drink much more than me they'll think. If his drinking worries him what does that say about me? they'll wonder.

Ultimately telling your friends and family won't be a big deal unless you make it one. Just tell 'em you were getting tired of drinking, that you kind of outgrew it. Tell them you have better things to do with your time and leave it at that. Many of them will be glad for you. It's possible some won't be; many families are dysfunctional and have weird dynamics. Don't worry about it, though. You have to do what's best for you. If others don't accept it that's their loss.

Good to have you at SR, Allin.