Thread: coming to terms
View Single Post
Old 08-25-2014, 02:08 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
CharlesG

Originally Posted by newstart85 View Post
Yesterday I came to terms with the fact that I have a problem with binge drinking.

I've been drinking heavily on and off since October of last year. Before that drinking for me was very rare. Last October I was diagnosed with Meningitis and all the painkillers in the world that they gave me didn't get rid of the severe headaches and photophobia. One night I was in so much pain I just said "**** it" and poured myself a glass of whisky. Tall glass, no mix, little ice. This became my standard drink of choice later. After drinking down the whisky I sat in my chair and to my surprised it helped with the pain. It didn't completely kill the pain, nothing did. But it brought it down from a screaming 10 down to a 6. After that, the rest is history and I spent the next three weeks completely drunk off my ass off whisky until my health was better.

It was easy for me to rationalize this at the time. I was drinking "medicinally" and once I got better I would stop. Looking back on things, I probably would have gotten better a lot sooner had I not gone this route, and I did some damage to my marriage in the process.

After mid January rolled around, I was better and good to go back to work (thank god for my insurance package, or I would have had to work while I was sick.) and to my credit I did stop drinking for a bit, but I couldn't stop for good. Again I rationalized it as I was sick so it didn't count. But now if I was going out for drinks after work, I had a taste for it, and one drink was never enough. After the months went by I found I was drinking heavily again. Rough day at the office? Better get falling down drunk. Going out with a few buddies? better be the drunkest one there by the end of the night. Depressed from your job, marriage, etc? buy a bottle.

I realized that this was an issue, and I had stopped drinking (for the most part) since the end of June (except two instances where I was going to a friends place to drink, and both times I didn't stop until I was black out drunk) but for the most part, it still didn't seem that bad. This weekend was the last straw. I went to a party of a friends with a bunch of coworkers. I planned on not drinking that night, to be honest, i didn't even want to go. I was able to turn down drinks for the first couple hours, but after a while I just thought (well, I can have one) Unfortunately, it didn't stop at one. It ended with me having everything I could have at the party, coming home after the party and drinking straight whisky until I blacked out. I didn't remember much of when I got home that night, but my wife was terrified for me all night, half expecting I was going to die. I woke up to a hole in the bathroom wall from when I was so drunk but thought I needed to have a shower (bon fire) and repeatedly fell in the shower, twisting my knee something fierce.

I had a long talk with my wife the next day and broke down; I have a problem. Not something I thought I would ever say, but ironically one of the most difficult things I ever have said. I have a lot of alcoholics in my family on both my mother and fathers sides. Up until a year ago, I took pride on the fact that I didn't have a drinking problem, and now I do. I want to be able to just change my relationship with alcohol. No more whisky obviously, but I want to know if it is at all possible for me to even have a couple beers at a social event and be able to stop. When I start drinking it seems that once I feel a buzz coming on, that I need to have more and more faster to chase that buzz, to get drunk off my ass. I don't want to live this way anymore.

I don't even really know how to end this, I've just been typing up until this point. If you read this, thank you.
no thank you for sharing! I can relate!
Had this problem with prescription cough syrup! Get a 8 ounce think I can just sip a little, drink the whole thing, fiend for more act a ass. Same with xanax!! And any other escape. I think, something goes a way I dont like, get high. Get drunk. It is never the answer! Even if something goes the way you would like it to!! We got this and being aware through the trial and error is seemingly the way we all got through it!!