Thread: Need a reminder
View Single Post
Old 08-24-2014, 10:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
MythOfSisyphus

Originally Posted by sunshine72 View Post
I'm approaching 9 months alcohol free. I'm starting to get really bored with life. I keep seeing all my friends out on the lake parties down having fun being goofy. Or I see Facebook pics of the local bar rock scene. And there are s i me parts of that life that I really miss. Hmmmm makes me feel anxious to see all that fun going on. I need some action and excitement. Got the hobby thing. AA is not for me so how can I go about finding sober friends that are fun! Outsde of a meeting?

You know, this is a great question! Speaking just for myself I kind of recalibrated my idea of what "fun" is. Sure, the people being loud and stupid at a bar are having "fun" in the sense that they're enjoying the activity. But I really look back at the "fun" I had and realize it was a waste of time. It didn't enrich me at all, intellectually or socially. In fact, it does the opposite- the people you social with drunk often don't have anything to do with you when you're sober. So you spend years cultivating this club of people to get drunk with but often don't develop any real friendships.

You could still hang with people in bars and still have fun, provided you drink a soda and they don't get too plastered.

Beyond that I'm not sure. I have only been sober for a little less than two years and haven't really made many new friends. I work full time and go to school, so I don't really have a lot of time to socialize. When I do it's usually with my family.