View Single Post
Old 08-17-2014, 05:39 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  
Ananda

LOL I do think it feels good to feel pretty!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ye7PIyIcCro

My family sets boundaries with me, but then I hear the hurt in their voice when I say no to a "social gathering".... I need to set boundries on not going to "family events" all the time and I've been doing that, but I need to not feel all the guilt and then anger cause they really think I should go.

I've missed some important events (like people sick) because I was drinking in the past ... that I want to be sober and not do anymore, but the constant ... come for dinner (a commitment of at least 4 hours of driving time and 4 hours of "being social") that is where I need to set a boundary.

Work boundaries are harder. But like I said, I'm going to try something different. I just want to talk to my boss about doing a "trial run" on something different and see how it goes. He and all the professors have been very supportive of me, so I think they will be willing to try and do something so I'm not doing emails and work at 2 am or 8pm when I'm suppose to be doing my home responsibilities.

CG - how was the Tom Petty concert? I'm trying to do things for me, and so I'm seeing if I can go to a John Prine concert during my 2 week vacation at the end of September ... tickets over 100$, airfare around 2-3 hundred and one night hotel ... taxies and food. My family want me to rent a cabin at a lake for a couple of nights (which equals one day at the lake) and have us do something together. But no ... this is the sort of thing I have to say no to. The cabin with electric (needed for my SIL for her health stuff) is 350 a night. So I'm 700$ plus gas and food out if I do that. Since the only reason I have the money to do something is cause mom gave it to me it's hard ... there are always strings with money!

John Prine is older than me and won't be around that much longer ... Seeing him perform is on my "bucket list". As we are working through this, my son pointed out it isn't about the sound or the visual .... Even in a small venue ... well you see him better on Ytube than what you will actually be able to see ... and the sound is usually not that good ... He said "Mom! It's about the experience .. going to hear him in person ... regardless of the distance and the sound system or the little oopsys on notes". I agree. Over my vacation he is playing in two places. Chris suggested I go to the one that is in a "theater" as the sound and sight will be better. That is in Cincinnati, and will be a bit harder to get a hotel in a semi-safe place. Then Chris said "ok ... you probably won't get killed if you stay in the wrong area, just robed ... and you won't have any money so it will be ok" LOL He and I tend to think similarly ... don't do something stupid, but don't let yourself miss opportunities out of fear!

My brother and SIL are going to stop by for a "few minutes" on their way home from a trip today. I set another standard ... told Chris at 6 am as he went to bed that I will be vacuuming and stuff this morning regardless of if it wakes him up. (I also don't think it will as my awesome possum dysan is much quieter than past broken vacumes )

OK ... gotta go ... CG please let me know how your concert went!

Nands