View Single Post
Old 08-13-2014, 01:28 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Butterfly
Baby Steps

I am an obsessional shopper it started several years ago it was my thing where I sought comfort and enjoyment and a sense of freedom. My separated AH never had any idea how much I spent on clothes, it was my addiction and because he kept such a tight reign on the finances, I kept money out of my wages that he didn't know about. Literally every month for years I would have to tell him how much I earned in my wages and he would tell me how much I could have, after I paid for all the household bills, he would take some to clear debts which never seemed to be paid off but I was left with very little. So I started telling him less than what I really got so I could have money to myself and do what I wanted with it. If I wanted something for the house it was always we can't afford it or when we move house. I know it wasn't right and I did/do feel guilty about it.

When he left the first thing I did was get my order credit card and I went nuts it was wonderful having complete financial freedom. I think I did it to give me something to do and to make me feel good. I have settled a bit now mostly as I have to repay it all lol but I actually feel settled and don't feel the same obsession to have items I see in stores now. I think for me it was having some control in a world where I felt out of of control