Old 08-12-2014, 08:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Timeiskey

Enough is Enough- Any suggestions for NC with neighbor?

(sorry this is a long one!) Over the past five weeks, I have been working towards accepting that my relationship is over. I have posted repeatedly here and I want to say that enough is enough. One of my SR friends said that I was beating the proverbial dead horse...at first I was a little stunned by that remark. After all, since we live right next door to each other, there have been some unexpected interactions...and some expected ones. The Cody in me kept the emotional door open and I have been put through the ringer for it- sometime by his hand and often by my own...and I accept my part in this continual pain.

Another SR friend described the road to acceptance as one where you are driving through a deep fog that seems endless, until one moment when you just drive through it and into the clear day. Who knows what will finally trigger that acceptance?

For me, the clearing fog begins with the culmination of a week of emotional highs and lows and confusing run-ins with my ex abf. From us arguing all night, to him slamming the door in my face the next day, to him calling me to apologize and asking if we can be friends and hang out soon, to him disregarding my request to have my space, from his friendliness when I have withdrawn- to his distance when I do finally engage in his kind banter...up and down- round and round we go! I know what I have been hoping for- let's be honest- that he would realize what he lost and finally get his s**t together, but I understand it takes more than a momentary self realization for an addict to do that. And I also see now that his continued play with me is all about his narcissistic ego. ("Oh, she smiled and kept walking, well I need to talk to her...oh, she is willing to talk and seems friendly, well now she needs to know that I don't want to deal with her")

The final straw that broke this camel's back came yesterday. Now, the night before, I returned home from hanging with some friends and went to walk my dog. My ex wasn't on my mind. I was in a perfectly healthy and happy mood...and then there he was- going into his house as I rounded the side of our mutual courtyard on my dog walk. I didn't see him- he could have simply gone into his house, or waived and continued on with his business as he has done in the past, but he wanted to engage me and I didn't have my guard up so I engaged. But of course, as soon as I respond and begin talking and smiling, his attitude changed and he just wanted to go inside and be left alone. And I foolishly fell for the drama and asked, "so you don't want to talk? you just want to engage me and when I show interest, just walk away?"- which I know is confrontational and useless...

So yesterday, I go to walk my dog and I forgot to leash him, so he runs onto the porch (which I can't see from my front door so I never know if he is going to be out there) where my ex and our mutual neighbor are talking...my ex pats my dog then tells him (not even me)- "alright dog- get going on your walk" and then turns away- my other neighbor sort of frowned in confusion and I all I did was say hello to our neighbor, smiled broadly and called my dog back to my side and confidently walked away...but it was a not-so-subtle- get lost to me that I felt- and it sure didn't feel good...so, I feel like I lost my power in the last week. When we first broke up, I had no idea but I had the power- he was hiding, staying away, feeling sorry for himself and feeling like he needed to give me space since I was angry---now, I feel disrespected.

SO- the point- I am done. Done. Done. From this moment on, I will not acknowledge his presence. I will leash my dog before I leave the house, so he can't run up to my ex and create an interaction. If I see him in the park, I will walk in another direction. I will not look him in the eyes, I will not answer his greetings, he no longer exists. No contact is very difficult when you live next to someone and I don't want to be rude, but even a friendly greeting isn't working, because I see him everyday, sometimes several times a day. And I want him to know that he will not get what he wants in this situation- which is to feel comfortable treating me with warmth and then coldness just to feed his ridiculous ego.

If you have any other suggestions for me, I would love to hear them...but no, I am not moving- I will not give him that power and I will not spend another dime because of this crappy and ended relationship.