Old 08-11-2014, 03:07 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
littlefish

i am starting to think that as I was so anxious did I make it so difficult for him did I make more of an issue of his drinking than it really was because I was scared it would go back?
Whether you made a big issue or never spoke about it, he would have drunk anyway. The factor that affects how much an alcoholic drinks is internal: how quickly the addiction is growing, how much it is dominating their thoughts and starting to destroy their life. The outside world and the people in it don't have any effect on an alcoholics drinking patterns. It all starts and ends inside.
Did I create a problem that wasn't there in my paranoid, anxious and insecure mind. Did he drink to the point of blacking out, binging the next day and sneaking out as he didn't know when he was going to be able to have another drink because I was so anxious is that why he binged?
No, other people don't affect the alcoholics drinking: alcohol, the substance does. The binge is a result of the inability to stop drinking once the drinker has started. It is never planned: who plans on going on a binge? Instead the alcoholic most likely hoped they would control it. Have a "nice drunk", but then it turns into the nice drunk from hell and they wake up 4 days later wondering why they are missing a shoe and what town are they in.
You are wondering if any of your behavior has any effect on your husbands drinking: no, if other people could affect or control an alcoholics drinking, there probably wouldn't be any alcoholics!