View Single Post
Old 08-03-2014, 11:25 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
jmartin

Wow, this sounds oh so familiar. My AW has made several attempts to "make amends" that have also devolved into similar blaming of others, offering of excuses, and other things that have not sounded much to me like she is accepting responsibility for her actions. As if to say yes, she drank, but there were extenuating circumstances! Like you, I have sometimes wondered whether she is getting bad advice from a sponsor or counselor. I am left with the feeling that she is apologizing because she knows she is supposed to, or in order to get something that she wants, not because there is any genuine sorrow or remorse for how she has behaved, or any true empathy for the pain she has caused others.

My AW claims that she is not as good at communicating or putting her feelings into words as I am. I have a hard time with this one, as it seems to be offered as an excuse for not communicating, as if it lets her off the hook somehow. Oh, I can't cook as well as you, so therefore I can't feed myself? It seems more of a sociopathic thing - how an apology would come out if one isn't actually sorry, but is going through the motions.