View Single Post
Old 08-01-2014, 04:06 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  
NightsWatch

Originally Posted by caboblanco View Post
...what about those who have had spiritual experiences? For them it's not blind...there are more of those people with these experiences then you might think..it's not something that comes up in everyday conversation..and if you want to refute such second hand experiences its just really denying something you have no experience with
When I get spiritual feelings, I don't presume to then impose those feelings on reality, so the feelings of awe and connectedness I experience while gazing at the stars has no impact on the Truth of the universe. Whatever that is. I love getting those spiritual feelings, but I see them as something very personal rather than something outside of me. In the same vein, I don't need to experience schizophrenia to comfortably discount the belief of schizophrenics who insist that demons (or whatever) talk to them. If I were to suddenly hear voices, I wouldn't change my mind and give credence to those who have experienced the same thing. I would check myself into a mental institution.

That last bit is tied my decision to quit drinking. When I started experiencing withdrawal symptoms that affected my perception of reality (i.e. when things would suddenly appear out of nowhere - I believe this effect came from my brain slowing down or something), I knew that I was done with alcohol. Even though I don't believe in a God or gods, there's a quote that always stuck with me - "Those whom the gods wish to destroy, they first make mad." In the case of my drinking, I felt that it was making me "crazy" and that really really bothered me because I value my mind a great deal. Luckily, in this particular case, I knew what was causing the madness and how I could stop it.