View Single Post
Old 08-01-2014, 08:08 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  
SparkyMcSparky
Working-cl*** pseudo tough

Originally Posted by LBrain View Post
oh boy, am the only one here that doesn't identify with anything? Call it existentialism if you want, but I understand there is some sort of definition for that too - so I can't be that. I fall into the 'none of the above' category. Basic human goodness cannot be learned or taught - what the turtle guy points out.
Ooooh, environment vs. heredity.

Brain, I'm kind of in a "not identifying with anything" phase myself right now, so you're not alone.

I would postulate that basic human goodness can be taught, just like many other social mores. If it can't, then how come child brides, female circumcision, and Honor killings are acceptable in some societies and not others?

If there was an "innate" human goodness, this would not happen.

If we move the discussion to our own society, how about cycles of crime and poverty, or the general lack of empathy creeping into our society? Personally, I have sought to teach my children to be empathetic, and stressed lessons such as "How would you feel if this was you". This is taught, not innate, and I see this everyday in kids who have been raised to believe the sun rises and sets out of their asses every day. Zero empathy.

Like all other animals, human beings will always biologically have their needs, wants and desires take precedence over others, unless taught differently.