View Single Post
Old 08-01-2014, 08:04 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  
soberlicious

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
"Good" and "Bad" are very situational, aren't they?
I would agree. I used those words because you said "human goodness" can't be taught. I understood that to mean you felt like there was an inherent "goodness" born into some of us. I inferred that to mean some of us have an inherent "human badness".

I'm thinking more of traits, proclivities. Some are born with none, some born with them very strong. These traits are defined as good and bad by current societal norms. In ancient Greece pederasty was a norm. In current times, taboo.
and we know for sure that some ancient Greeks were actually born with a sexual propensity toward prepubescent boys? (Sidenote: the practice of pederasty was not often not sexual at all, but that's a different thread) or could that practice have been influenced by environmental factors, given the societal norms of the time?

Of course we all have dominant traits, but really when you think about it all traits are situational. I am generally nonviolent. Could I kill someone if I had to? Yes.

In looking at the dominant traits, how would one even begin to tease out what is nature and what is nurture? An infant begins being influenced by environmental factors the moment they leave the womb.