View Single Post
Old 07-31-2014, 08:10 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  
dwtbd
quat

Originally Posted by LBrain View Post
Interesting. Last night I couldn't sleep so I went down and put on netflix. A documentary popped up first on the list. Particle Fever it is called. It's about the CERN experiments and the search to capture the Higgs Boson. How timely is that? I never new of this movie but it just showed up first on my list. hmmmmm...
Recommend for all you air heads out there. It is well done.
I am very much the unscientific layman, though interested in such things. I think they are practically done, if not completely done, running the data that would confirm a Higgs 'sighting' and I believe the percentages of error( or lack thereof?) in the data are in the realm of the scientists agreeing that the numbers say "yep , boson, of the Higgs variety, glimpsed".

And as close as I understand the Higgs B or 'god particle' is supposed to lend credulity to a theory invovling an energy field( the Higgs field) the permeates the universe and matter spawns from it and when it does it would leave behind a Higgs Boson, so if they saw one the field may be.

Again very course overview, and not sure if correct on mass generalizations, any physics geek , help?