View Single Post
Old 07-28-2014, 10:36 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
samseb5351

Originally Posted by NightsWatch View Post
I remember learning about confirmation bias, and I think that sort of thing tends to be the rule rather than the exception in most people, so it is a good thing to be aware of. But I also think we can have spiritual feelings without there being a spiritual (in the traditional sense) component. I don't believe in a higher power, but when I gaze up at the billions and billions of stars and the feelings of awe and connectedness wash over me, I equate that to a spiritual feeling. I know it's just my brain making chemicals, just as love is also a bunch of neurons firing a certain way, but it doesn't make the feeling any less enjoyable or less 'real'. I don't need to believe in God or anything supernatural to feel this way, so belief isn't required to be a spiritual type of person imo.
Yes I agree and the word Spiritual as I was using it in my post was the traditional sense. Its one of those words "spiritual" that can have so many meanings that it often is not the best word to use. I like the word AWE, I think this quote from Douglas Adams captures what you are saying Nightwatch

"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too"