View Single Post
Old 07-27-2014, 10:14 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Noolan

EJM- Congrats on 2 weeks and hanging out in those settings! It's nice to know you can and not feel overly compelled to drink in those settings. I'd only caution not too get too comfortable this early on. Maybe it was just me, but I let my previous successes in those environments give me over confidence that led to a slip. Not to say you'll suffer the same fate, but just sharing.

As for dealing with your parent; I too have a mother that often worries and questions when I place myself in those environments. Sometimes it feels warranted and other times it just reminds me the past and feels like a shot at my self worth. In my case, I know she doesn't mean to bring out feelings like that in me and she's just trying to keep me in check. Except in doing so, it triggers me to not forget and feel like I'll never be free of my past. I just try to remind myself that 42 days sober doesn't erase my past and try to use that frustration as motivation to keep me in check. The more sober success I achieve should lead to more trust and less doubt. If not, I'll address it with her down the road.