View Single Post
Old 07-26-2014, 04:17 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
lovetohikect

I won't put this nearly as eloquently as IncitingSilence, just above, but also, frankly, your post does have some red flags in it. I am familiar (oh how terribly familiar) with finding bottles stashed all over my house, and my first reaction was - can that really be okay, to be drinking to that level, while also using suboxone? Even if it's still all right, from a medical standpoint, to drink a fair amount of alcohol whilst using suboxone, it is worrisome because, as you know, alcohol lessens inhibitions to the point that your husband may not be quite as vigilant about not picking up H again. (Maybe I am biased, but it also sounds to me as if you've found... kind of a lot of bottles. I don't drink alcohol, myself, and I don't know how much people go through, but it still sounded like a fair amount).

I guess I am also wondering, your issue, if I can re-articulate it, is that you don't believe your husband really IS an alcoholic, but that for whatever reason his mother, who isn't mentally stable, has convinced him that he is, and so he hides evidence of his drinking because he has a lot of guilt and shame around drinking. And again, not to put a judgment on anything about this situation but, why is it even important whether he drinks or he doesn't? Is the best of all possible worlds that he learns to drink without shame? Why would that be something good?

My experience with people who are addicted to drugs (admittedly a fairly small sample) is that they tend to go "all in" with whatever they're taking. My AS, for instance, can switch from painkillers, to benzo's, to adderall, to alcohol, and back, without blinking an eye. Maybe your husband's addiction is completely compartmentalized and he could take anything else on a "normal" and "rational" basis. You've been married a year, so a lot of this is still to unfold. But, I still don't see what the upside of alcohol use would be.

Jane