Thread: Elder care
View Single Post
Old 07-24-2014, 11:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
happybeingme

Elder care

This is a question particularly for those who have gone no contact with your parents. Have any of you been faced with your parents declining health? If so did you get involved at all in caring for them directly or indirectly? This is the one area where I worrythe most. My mother has deliberately not taken care of her financial responsibilities. So, if my sister said she couldnt live with her anymore my mom would be in a bad.place. She has utility bills that are years in arrears. Her medical bills are also a year behind. After she had her cancer surgery and such she never bothered paying a dime towards the hospital bills or even tried to set up a payment plan. This could lead to problems later. The cancer center doesnt have to keep seeing her for followups.

Than there is the fact we live in a state with filial responsibilty laws and while there is very little case law with regards to it I cant helpbut worry. So, how have you guys dealt with these things or havent you had to? Or are you planning not to?