View Single Post
Old 07-22-2014, 09:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Kialua

Having friends while growing up with an alcoholic dad...enough said. It's not just difficult it was impossible for me. We moved nearly yearly or so, no one was allowed in the house, my enabling mom didn't have friends either. She probably didn't want anyone to find out how we lived, was suspicious of everyone and trusted no one, always finding their achilles heel, then feeling justified to keep them at arms length, mocking their supposed inadequacies as if she were superior, yeah right.

So naturally I was taught and caught to view friends the same way my mother did. When there is a disagreement I walked and refused to answer phone calls or repair any situation. Just move on. I remember once in 4th grade getting into a fight with a little girl and telling her I didn't care, she didn't matter to me and I would probably never see her again when I moved anyway. And that was true, we moved, problem solved.

One area of friendship that was detrimental to me was having allies against someone. I call that negative friendships now. I would find people that hated the teacher or the boss or someone that crossed me and we would all hate them together. The problem with that was it always turns on you with the other person making peace with the hated one, then they hate me. Basing friendships on hating or disliking someone has a lot of energy and feels powerful but it never last and well it shouldn't. It was a very immature venue but not unexpected given my childhood.

I struggle with dismissing and finding fault with friends all through my life, but have managed to hold onto several friends. Once I let someone through the walls I can be very wounded by the slightest things that wouldn't bother "normal" people. But I have worked very hard on not holding grudges, forgiving and allowing people to be who they are despite my internal incessant criticism of them.