Thread: Buddhism
View Single Post
Old 07-21-2014, 07:46 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
schnappi99

I've been a buddhist since the mid 80's, one of the Japanese Mahayana derived sects. Its funny "on the inside" we call it practicing and don't usually use a word like religion unless the conversation is about some other belief. I find it aligns very well sometimes almost eerily so with the 12-Step program.. though I should think those in other religions might make a similar observation wrt theirs.

I like the practice because it imposes a minimum of blind faith.. in fact the fundamental practice is essentially suggestive like the 12-Steps saying "don't believe if you don't wish to but try the practice and see if it works". I suppose like many religions things pretty quickly degenerate into miracles or action at a distance etc and I just don't buy it- the power of religion seems to be in how it enables people to transform themselves... overcome their weaknesses, be courageous in adversity etc. Maybe the doctrine is there to help various kinds of people understand; what works for one may not for another so a variety of kinds of doctrine is needed in any religion... or perhaps I'm an incurable skeptic. But I still do my basic practice and feel kind of naked and out of whack if I miss it.. so maybe I'm a logical sell-out regardless lol.

IIRC William James opined that religions have constituencies; people gravitate to faiths which suit their characters in some way. If so, there are people who need the fire & brimstone and all the other creeds. I kind of like that concept...

Tell you what though, I though I was doing OK as a Buddhist for all these years but it turns out I'm a big raging codie... so I do find the alanon work is showing where I have not been doing a great job. I'm hoping for one of those stories where working the steps causes the transformation of the concept of the higher power...