Thread: Kids and Rehab
View Single Post
Old 07-21-2014, 09:51 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Txhelp

Awe thanks guys!

I picked up my son and we left for Salvation Army last Friday. He was a little agitated when I picked him up. I ignored that and didn't say much. His sister, also in rehab, contacted him for the first time. She knew that he was to be picked up and wanted to show her support.

There has been some difficulty between the two as she understands that she would need to stay away, from her brother, if he is still using. It's the longest of no contact (about 2 months) that they've experienced. She explained that she would not be able to be around him unless he was sober (prior to her jail time/rehab time). He understood.

My first impression of Salvation Army was quite good. They seemed to genuinely care and the guy, working the front desk, was quite informational as we waited to be seen. He is also in the program (4 month mark). The program is 6 months and for my son is a MUST. I say this as he has been a substance abuser his adult life. At 25 years...it's quite a difficult mindset, to change, if you want to. The patients do work therapy for 40 hours a week. It allows them to pay-their-way and get acclimated into the real world if they haven't worked in awhile. (in addition to many other benefits).

It's my prayer that my son stays but it's his life and his business. I did tell him that he wouldn't get a ride from me until completion. In addition, he would not have any family connections to speak of....(both of my kids spoke that as a motivator to getting clean. Family is something that they have missed).

So...it looks like I have my two kids in rehab at the same time. I find it that I am not happy. I still feel the stress as if they are out. I guess my cortisol levels are still high!