Thread: Buddhism
View Single Post
Old 07-21-2014, 01:37 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
MythOfSisyphus

Originally Posted by samseb5351 View Post
I think the principles are way more practical then many other religions. I find myself never really having to ask "is this true". It seems compassion is important to you Myth o S. Is that a principle or practice you find important in recovery? If so can you share some of your experiences with how that works?
Thanks for your responses
Yeah, I guess it is. Compassion is the key to life, IMOHO. Compassion probably starts with ourselves. If you don't be kind to yourself who can you be kind to? Compassion can be difficult at times for me. I've talked before about my view on the struggle between our higher selves and the "monkey brain" that's at the root of the impulses most would call 'darker' or lower. I am blessed/cursed with a strong monkey brain! That's the part that rises to anger or leaps to assert dominance. The monkey brain is necessary to have. It reacts to danger and keeps us safe in "the Jungle." But it can be a burden outside of the jungle.

Compassion seems to work hand-in-glove with AVRT. Just as I have learned to instantly recognize "beast voice" whispering the cries to drink I have also learned to separate the monkey voice from my higher self. The monkey part is quick to anger and flash its teeth! But the higher self and the core of compassion can sooth the monkey part, talk him down.