Thread: Becoming
View Single Post
Old 07-21-2014, 01:29 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
MythOfSisyphus

Well, the journey continues! Had a bit of a snafu with financing school. Two years ago I would have just gone on a binge and drank for a few days. But now I was momentarily annoyed but quickly realized it's not that big a deal. Basically for financial reasons I'll have to go for two more semesters, not finish in one like I had hoped. A tad frustrating but I'm choosing to view it as an opportunity instead of an obstacle! I'll have a little bit of time to "savor" school, if that makes sense. As much as I'm eager to finally get done, the "real world" is going to be my world for the rest of my life! No point rushing it.

Some good news, though. I have now been attacking the weight training pretty seriously for about three months. I wanted to get a few months in before I even posted about it since people often start things with the best of intentions only to see things peter out over time. I have no doubt that if I was still drinking there's no way I would stick to training; in the past it always cut into my drinking time!

This time it feels different! I read Charles Staley's book Muscle Logic- Escalating Density Training from cover to cover and it really blew me away! I have no illusions that I'll go from couch potato to Olympic athlete at age 45. But the transformation in my body in just a few months has been surprising. I'm probably stronger now than I was at 30. And the gains are addictive.

I guess I must be at around 21 months sober or so now. It feels so different! The sources of frustration that used to wear me down now seem trivial. I have a sense of optimism that I don't remember having before. Not fantasies or pipe dreams but a genuine feeling that I'm in control of my life, steering the ship instead of just blowing where the winds take me. My locus of control has moved more firmly inward. Obviously we can't control the world but I feel like I'm able to deal with things as they come my way now to a much better degree than in years past.

No, haven't written The Great American Fantasy Novel yet or mastered Latin! But things are moving in the right direction!