View Single Post
Old 07-20-2014, 06:53 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  
SparkyMcSparky
Working-cl*** pseudo tough

I hope this thread has been as thought provoking for others as it has been for me.

Since I started it last week, I've been thinking very philosophically about a number of religious and secular concepts, especially as how they relate to my newfound sobriety. Even cracked open some Old Testament, and did some research on Catholicism (fundamentally the root of all modern Christianity).

Heck, I've got little else to do with all the free time I have from not drinking. LOL. Also weird (and somewhat enjoyable) feeling the brain working on something other than where I'm buying my next drink, how I'm drinking my next drink (so no one notices) and how I'm paying for my next drink (also so that no one notices).

As someone who was brought up Christian, who lives his lives by Christian principles, and has instructed his Children in the Christian faith, I believe I am at an interesting point in my life.

I believe I may be bordering on becoming atheistic. Talk about an unexpected twist in becoming sober.

To me, becoming sober is releasing a dependency on a chemical, and empowering oneself to accomplish this. This logically extends into everyday life, where one can empower themselves to live a moral and positive life, without a dependency on faith. Regardless of ones beliefs, I still firmly believe that my deity did not make me drink, so my deity will not make me stop drinking.

Very interesting thought and faith journey - wonder where this will end up?