View Single Post
Old 07-19-2014, 11:10 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  
samseb5351

Originally Posted by freshstart57 View Post
When I say I will never drink again, in a way I am making a statement about the present rather than the future. I consider that I have sliced and diced my entire future regarding alcohol into an unknowable number of infinitesimally small lumps, instants that represent a series of present moments stretching from now until my last breath. Every one of those lumps will be a present moment when they happen, in their turn, just like this one right now. I am confident in my future sobriety because I know with certainty I will not now drink. I got that one nailed. In other words, I will never now drink. I believe that this is something knowable, with certainty.
Thanks Freshstart, your description there seems almost poetic, I have noticed this kind of communication with your posts and I was wondering if Metaphor is an important part of how you make sense of things, especially in recovery. Where did it come from? Has that kind of communication been with you for long? Is there anyone whose writings inspire you, and were you a writer and reader as a child of prose?