View Single Post
Old 07-15-2014, 07:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
FT

Hello ChrisM and welcome.

I have never trusted "planned sobriety" because it sounds a little too much like "trying" to quit. I tried to quit drinking multiple times, usually on a Monday morning after a weekend of "one last party" where I drank even more than usual. Of course, that left Monday with me in bad shape, nauseous, headache, and looking for "hair of the dog."

Have you read the AVRT crash course at the very least? Jack Trimpey's book? I mean, really read it?

I see lots of AV in your post, such as "I also realize I need a little support and accountability from you guys...". AVRT is not a support group and was never meant to work that way, at least to my understanding. Your Big Plan is made for yourself and nobody else, and you are accountable only to yourself.

Having said that, I also enjoy some reinforcement for what I do. However, for me quitting drinking (1991) was an identity shift to being a non-drinker, and I had to learn to wear my new self-identity before I was comfortable. There is no guarantee that making and following a Big Plan will be comfortable, but it is a commitment made to yourself. Never rely on the support of others, or the minute that your Beast perceives it to be lost or diminished in any way, your plan is over and done with.