View Single Post
Old 07-15-2014, 05:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
soberlicious

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
I think it's cool that you did some research and learned what the program is about. Like you, moderation is definitely not for me, but if I'm going to discuss something I need to at least have a base knowledge of the important tenets.

For me, the important thing to understand about moderation was what true "moderation" with alcohol really means. There are strict guidelines about amounts and frequency . What I failed to understand when I said I was so-called moderating was that moderation does not mean cutting back from 10 beers a night to 7. It also does not mean saving up the allotted drinks per day and drinking them all at once. Nor does it mean skipping a day of drinking, or drinking 5 nights instead of 7. None of those would be considered true attempts at moderation, by the government's definition of moderation.

I think that if I were to strictly followed the program, it would take no time at all for me to see that I could not follow it indefinitely as written. It could serve as a wake up call for many, and likely has.

The other misconception I had was that MM was against abstinence, which is not true. It is my understanding that they encourage abstinence for those unable to moderate.