Thread: Moderation?
View Single Post
Old 07-14-2014, 05:08 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
jdooner

Great discussion...I would like to throw a slightly different perspective. I self identify as an addict, of which alcohol was one of my addictions. I find that with alcohol removed and without a sufficient program, another addiction will take its place (just me). I felt the strongest addiction from cocaine. Would anyone argue trying to moderate cocaine? This is not tongue and cheek but being serious...it was legal for years and years before the US scheduled it as a class A drug. It has been demonstrated that the chemistry in our neuropathy from cocaine abuse and long term alcohol abuse is actually quite similar. So while at first my comparison may sound absurd, I would posit that it is not that ridiculous.

My point: I think it is often rationalized with alcohol because of the legality. It was man that wrote these laws however. Men and women that are sick themselves (just watch House of Cards for an accurate representation of Washington DC politics). Alcohol is a poison, empty calories at best. There is no nutritional benefit and we keep away from children. Honesty was key for me in recovery, and I never drank for anything less than a buzz (just my experience again). So while I may fool myself (some may refer to this as my beast) into thinking something different moderation for me is to rationalize getting high off alcohol, the same as cocaine.

As an opinion, I do believe this is how people with long term sobriety end up relapsing. It starts with the question, "was I really an alcoholic if I was able to stop?" It often ends with a post about how moderation does not work.