Thread: Moderation?
View Single Post
Old 07-13-2014, 12:02 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
dwtbd
quat

AVRT is fantstic method for breaking an addiction. I focused on it, utilised it in 'early' sobriety. But , for me, it is a means to an end.
I'm sober now and plan to stay that way. Were I to choose to drink again , I have little doubt that at some point I would become addicted again and most likely with worse consequences. If the day ever came that found me deciding a could 'handle' a leisurely six pack or pint of whisky , I would first need to fashion a placard and afix it over my front door " abandon all hope, ye that enter here".
The only way I think the 'beast' or my AV can exist is by giving it fuel. Before I heard or used those terms in the formal sense , the battle had begun. After reading RR material I was able to recognize through introspection , the battle was already taking place. I was almost convinced in the alcoholic fog of active drinking that I had a split personality, in a way I did, I just didn't see it those terms. I didn't want to continue like that , but I was, the AV was winning by default.
Finding SR and being pointed to that material is what truly let me break free. I think it really resonated with me because how accurately it described what I was going through.
Thank you JT for writing it down and good on me for following through.
Choosing not to drink is how to be abstinent, being abstinent is choosing not to drink. I actually did need someone else to point that out to me, but from there it was up to me.