Thread: Moderation?
View Single Post
Old 07-13-2014, 10:10 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
MesaMan

8 Miles High

Being a 'Free Range' Thinker, I'd like to comment in a slightly different way...

You would have made a good Lawyer. A primary Characteristic they need to have is the ability to know the answer to a question before asking it in your OP. Your stated consumption of 'Cold Duck' is the amount you gravitate to if left to your own 'devices'.

In Scotland, my Pals talk about getting 'Legless'. I.e., hammered. I 'achieved' that state plenty. I'd be going along in a state I thought was pretty OK. It wasn't OK. It was familiar. In one of many such states, I crawled down the very steep Captain's Ladder in a rented RV we parked one night in a lovely mid-California State Park. I was snoozing up over the Driver's Seats. I slipped and gouged my Calf on this sharp edge of Masonite on the Dinette Seat Back just behind the Driver's Seat. Started bleeding like a MoFo. Alcohol thins the Blood. I felt my bare Feet 'stick' in something. I flipped on the Light, and was 'stuck' in a Pool of my own Blood about the diameter of your average 'Large' Pizza. I managed to stop the bleeding and sop up all the Blood; all w/o waking Da Wife. I damned near bled to death. I kept Drinking thereafter.

The Bodily 'Feedback Loop' of when I was ripped was 'broken'. I would mistakenly wait for Bodily symptoms to tell me to skip the next Glass of Single Malt. That Cellphone call was never completed, so to speak.

I'm sure you'll get plenty of pointed 'advice' on what you should do. I don't go there. I'll make instead the Clinical observation that this same 'Feedback Loop' of knowing when you're high 'enough' might be broken in you, too. It was 'honed' on 2 Bottles of Cold Duck, and that's the prior level of 'highness' that will seem familiar. That was the case with me, fo sho.

As with compartmentalizing my AV via AVRT, I compartmentalize the concept that this very furrowed Intoxication Feedback 'Rut' in me has changed; irrespective of elapsed time [~20 years or 'whatever']. I look at that well-worn 'Rut' and dismiss it, chuckling. I'm fantasizing if I think it's changed in me.

Early on here, I saw 'Conventional Wisdom' posted on another Thread elsewhere that a BAC of 0.50% likely means Death. Not automatically so, and I'm not trying here to minimize the seriousness of this Topic. Not surprisingly, see below what a fellow Polack, as we call ourselves, 'achieved' as a top BAC. My point: we acclimate to this level of 'highness' and still function. It seems 'normal'. It sure did with me. Right up through pounding a 1.75 L 'Handle' of Vodka every 2 days. Hey, I was fine. Just ask me back then.

I trust our Mods will understand my pure motives in posting this Link. I'm illustrating that many of us 'train' to function at insane BACs. Nothing is being 'glamorized' here, IMO. It illustrates the sordid depth achievable in acclimated Drinking tolerance.

From the first Comment below this Article:

Daniel Charlton - 124 days ago

'Had a client today with bac of 1.88 I checked it 7x and same reading each Time. Recommend detox he said maybe tomorrow denial at its best. He actually walked out of my clinic. Checked my machine it was accurate.'

The 5 Highest BACs Ever Recorded