Thread: Done with AA
View Single Post
Old 07-09-2014, 08:27 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
FT

Being in recovery DOES feel raw at times, because the "tool" we once used to "fix" stuff in our lives has left a big hole in its place.

With time, that hole is filled with all sorts of other ways to have fun, elevate our mood, calm our nerves, fight boredom, fill time, combat anxiety, fight depression, and ALL of the numerous other reasons why we ever drank/used in the first place.

It is just human to feel frustration, fatigue, irritation, impatience, etc. You will find yourself feeling those things many times over as time goes on. I remember when I quit drinking years ago, I was surprised at how many things I blamed on the booze. If I had a bad day, didn't feel well, felt too tired, was grumpy, etc., I always just chalked it up to drinking too much the night before. Imagine my shock when I discovered that, sometimes, I was just having a bad day!

I got used to the idea that some days just suck. Still do. The only difference is that I no longer "treat" my sucky days with booze/pills/(fill in DOC).

No patience required here; understanding in spades.