Thread: Done with AA
View Single Post
Old 07-09-2014, 08:25 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Cascabel

Originally Posted by ElleDee View Post
First off, I didn't mean to offend you with my feelings about AA. You seem to have taken it personal. The thing is that I've had what I would call numerous unpleasant experiences at meetings. People's reactions, comments, I've had people pounce on me after meetings telling me what to do. I know some of it is that they're trying to be helpful. But I never did well in group therapy either. It's part of who I am I guess. Since AA is one type of program to stay sober, and there are many others (as I am learning) I will avoid meetings or go to the ones I feel comfortable at. That's why I came to this board... to look for alternative ways and I had heard about AVRT and want to learn more.
Like you, I am not much of a group person. I am introverted and introspective by nature and don't function well as part of a group. Also, like you, I have had a number of unfortunate experiences with AA: being dismissed as not enough of a drunk to deserve membership; being lectured to on how unless I "let Jesus into my heart" I was doomed to die a drunk and other, similar experiences. I know that any group is going to have the occasional jerk; I also met some at the few SMART Recovery meetings I attended. The difference was that at the SMART meeting, the facilitator shut the jerk off; at AA, there was no effort made to quiet them or to divert them.

And, I'm not dissing AA here at all. The organization has helped many people live a sober life. Sadly, I did not find it particularly well suited to my personality. But if you fit well with group support and can accept the spiritual focus of AA, then AA is a good approach.

When I visited the RR website I found an approach to sobriety that fit my personality. The notion of group support was downplayed and the notion of personal responsibility was brought to the fore. I also buy into the idea that "your life is a mess because you drink" instead of the notion that "you drink because your life is a mess". So, using the principles espoused by RR and using SR as my "support group", I'm managing to stay sober.

I think the single strongest factor in my sobriety, however, is my inner insistence on thinking myself to be a teetotaler, first and foremost, and being proud of it. A major part of my present identity is as a teetotaler: I brag about being one. I also consider "recovery" to be an event, a decision, not a process. And, once one develops the knack of recognizing the alcoholic voice, AVRT is an incredibly powerful tool for sobriety.

One more thing, if you are using RR for sobriety, you can't be accused of fleeing a recovery group because it contains jerks. IMHO, Jack Trimpey, creator of RR is a bit of a jerk. He's a smart jerk and a creative jerk and he has done a lot for me but he is still a jerk (and I say this with considerable affection).

Best wishes to you in your sober future.