Old 07-07-2014, 07:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Catbabe01

Just left drug addict boyfriend, what happens after rock bottom?

Hey all,

I just left my soulmate/ love of my life/ boyfreind of 3 years due to his drug and alcohol addiction. Things have been crazy bad this past year in terms of him abusing cocaine. OxyContin and booze. He started stealing money from me, stopped going to work, had no money for rent and using everyday by himself locked in his bathroom. I was in denial about how bad his problem was for a long time, as I am a weekend social drinker as well. When I noticed him spinning out of control I tried everything I could to help him, planning sober activities. Buying us expensive counselling sessions, taking him to a psychologist, seeking help from his family and attending al anon meetings. Around Christmas things got so bad I couldn't take it anymore and I left him, hoping losing me would make him want to change. Obviously it didn't but I loved and missed him so much I wanted to give him another chance. I arranged and intervention and treatment program for 45 days all paid for through his work and on the day of the intervention he was crying and so happy to go into treatment. Treatment was going to we'll he decided to stay a full 90 days and was given responsibilities around the recovery house like driving the other ppl to meetings and doing the breakfast cooking. It was a dream come true and I was soo proud of him and thought finally, when he gets out we can have a normal life together, it was so perfect.
But he still hadn't found a sponsor a week before he was about to come home, and stopped talking about his step work... The recovery house seemed like just a place for him to hang out with all his new "freinds" and less about actively being involved in The Program,....

Then the weekend before he was supposed to graduate he came home and said they asked him to leave early because he was doing so well, (obviously not true) and he immediately came home and started drinking and using cocaine. Thinking it was just a slip, the ppl at the rehab said he would b fine so long as he kept going to meetings and announced himself and continued to work on his sobriety.

Fast forward a month later to today and he has not gone to work, been to one meeting, been able to pay his rent or any other bill and has used drugs and alcohol Every Day. The relapse has been going on for a month now and shows no signs of stopping. He has been stealing from me, and my family and lying and has turned back into the person he is when his addiction takes over. I refused to give him money for "gas" and "food" 3 days ago and we haven't spoken since..... I'm so done I can't live more of my life like this but I love him so much and am obviously worried and debated for him.

My question is, do some addicts never stop? If I leave him alone to hit his rock bottom will he go back to a.a. And n.a. And get better again? I just saw him be clean for 3 months and he loved it - or should I just give up and try to get over it? What should I do!