Thread: It's my time.
View Single Post
Old 07-06-2014, 07:21 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Serenidad

Originally Posted by Clementina View Post
Hi everyone, I'm 31 years old and today is day one of my new, sober life. My drinking problem is bingeing. I don't drink every day (but I do almost every day.) Once I have a drink, it's like something goes off in my head and my mind/body wants more, more, more, MORE. I call it the beer monster. But it's really just a drinking problem. Once I have one, I can't stop. People have told me that I could always just limit my drinking to a 2-3 drinks maximum. I've tried that. It just doesn't work. I used to be able to, but I can't anymore. I am accepting now that I just can't control it. If I have one drink, I'm going to have 6 or more. The loss of control is getting worse too. I blacked out again last night. I woke up on my friend's couch with no idea what the **** happened. Again. It's been happening more and more often this past year, and over the past few years. I never used to black out, and now I can lose hours upon hours of the night. Is this part of the progression of alcoholism? Is it a sign of brain damage? Sometimes, it's so bad that people will remind me of things I said or did and I'll have absolutely no memory of it. I've been drinking since I was a teenager, and it's almost always binge drinking. I used to at least be capable of drinking in moderation once in awhile, and sometimes I still can manage to drink only 1-2 drinks in a night. But that's so rare now, I can't hope for it anymore. I know I have a major problem. I just can't drink anymore. Period. I cannot even fathom how much strength this is going to take. I spent a lot of time today crying about it. I am absolutely TERRIFIED. But I feel good about it. Strong. I'm reclaiming myself, my mind, my body, my life.
Welcome! Yes, unfortunately frequent blackouts can be a sign that your alcoholism is progressing and damage is being done to your body. The fortunate thing is that if you stop drinking your body has an incredible way of repairing itself over time. You can do this!!!

:-)

Sent from my iPhone using SoberRecovery