View Single Post
Old 07-04-2014, 10:31 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  
freshstart57
Self recovered Self discovered

Originally Posted by LBrain View Post
hey boudicca, I have to raise my hand in agreement with croissant on the point that you are still new to recovery. I fully agree that the AVRT model and commitment is an absolute. That's the beauty of it. However, there were those before you that applied this credo yet drank again. Please do not get defensive when someone suggests it is still possible for you to drink again. I would welcome that reminder myself.

Regardless of the method one chooses to remain sober, it is still a lifetime commitment. It ain't over till it's over. I have no doubt that in ten years I will be thinking I could enjoy a cold one after a round of golf. And I will have to correct my thinking on the spot.
I am in your corner here, Boudicca. Yes, it's true that sobriety for you was an event, a completed action in the past, a state you achieved through your understanding of your addiction and your final decision about continuing to use alcohol, your Big Plan. I believe that you have also added a moral dimension to your decision and made it immoral for yourself to ever drink again.

I suppose it is possible that you could do any number of immoral things, like poison neighbourhood pets, commit unspeakable crimes against children, even drink again. It's possible you could, but impossible for you to actually do. A defensive reaction of denial is entirely appropriate it would seem to me if anyone were to say you were capable of molesting a child.

I have plenty of doubt that I would need to be reminded to not drink in any future situation because of this moral aspect. I think the same would apply to you, Boudicca. Onward!