View Single Post
Old 07-04-2014, 04:19 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Nonsensical
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by MesaMan View Post
... it appears that one essential Statistical truth is generally overlooked. If only one UFO were ever recovered and analyzed, then UFOs exist. Period. Substantiation doesn't require that hundreds are recovered. In a like manner, if only one Person recovers via AVRT, it can no longer be dismissed as 'not viable'. AVRT doesn't become viable only when it works >51% of the time.
Well said. The same can be said of any method used for defeating addiction, including the ones that didn't work for, or appeal to, the people who frequent the secular connections forum.

I originally joined SR in 2010 under a different name. I was hoping to find some new ideas to kick the bottle, because the old ones weren't working for me. After a few weeks of essentially being told to stop living in denial and go back and do the old ones right I gave up trying to find answers here. Partially my fault for not exploring the boards more thoroughly and finding the secular connections section, but it would have been nice to have someone find me in the newcomer's forum and present me with a concept that was new and different.

Presenting newcomers with different options happens a lot more now. When I rejoined in 2013 (my head was banging and I couldn't remember my previous screen name, so I created this one) people in newcomers were mentioning "AV". Never heard that before. Freshstart57 directed me to this section for more information and it was like the door to a whole new world had opened for me. This is where the fresh ideas I needed were hiding.

Alternatives to the dominant recovery programs have come a long way. There is still work to do to gain parity, but I believe it is coming. Social change is hard and takes time. I don't see any value in denigrating other methods, though. As MesaMan said, if it helped one person ever, it's viable and shouldn't be dismissed.

Such an excellent thread.