View Single Post
Old 07-03-2014, 04:00 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
FeenixxRising

Originally Posted by Boudicca View Post
Is it strange or odd to have feelings of frustration while reading some threads/posts on SR? I am not sure why, but I am really starting to feel irritated by many of the posts I read.

However it seems not all individuals approach it from this perspective. There seems to be quite a bit of whining, excuses and such from those using a different treatment model. Also the constant relapsing is disturbing.

Is it just me? Am I being insensitive? Is there something I am not getting here?
Maybe a little insensitive, but I understand your frustration.

IMO the Western (and particularly American) recovery model predominates, so I'm not surprised so many individuals on SR speak that language. Personally, I'm working very hard to avoid pointing out or discussing why "I" feel someone is having trouble (although, I'm not always successful at keeping myself in check). I can only offer my experience and what worked for me. I can point people to the literature and discussions that pertain to my approach. They will either take the initiative to explore the options or they won't. And of course, many of these individuals will find that one of the more common methods do work for them.

However, I will readily point out that doubling down on one's current method may not be the best approach, and that trying another option may be in order.

I was certainly on the other side of the fence, floundering around, asking why, attending meetings, trying to make some sense of the 12-Steps, working on my "recovery" in the hopes my desire for alcohol would simply disappear (or that God would take it away). But none of that worked, and I finally decided to give serious consideration to this AVRT stuff. For me, the logic behind AVRT simply made sense and fit almost perfectly with my world view and past experiences with overcoming big obstacles.