View Single Post
Old 07-03-2014, 06:34 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
desypete

Originally Posted by soberlicious View Post
When I see someone addicted who is unwilling to give anything different a try, I just remember that I'm not really interacting with them, so much as I am interacting with their beast.
Many, many times I said the same things I read here...
I can't stop
That won't work
Nothing will work

Of course I know that was AV. Pure, undistilled Addictive Voice. It's the reason addicted people reject options, or classify straight talk as "tough" or "mean". I see it all as the addiction (or beast in AVRT) diverting from the real issue, quitting for good. Of course there will be opposition to that from the beast. You may hear that opposition in many forms, in every case it's AV. Thoughts, feelings, words designed in some way to allow the addiction to continue.

I agree with you that the in-between is tortuous. That's why I always try to point out that "never" has brought me so much relief and peace. But that is not received well in a "one day at a time" world. Personally, I think ODAAT is the easier, softer way, because it is a way to remain calm and placate that addicted part of myself. Anyone who has ever had a tantruming toddler knows what happens when you placate. That toddler will run the entire household. Parents sometimes even describe the feeling of being "held hostage"( much like the addicted feel). But to end that behavior you have to be willing to go through some uncomfortable times. Sometimes so uncomfortable it seems impossible, overwhelming, like you must give in to save your sanity. If you remain consistent, the end result is worth it. In the grand scheme of things the battle is short, even though in the midst of it it feels as though time stands still and it will never end.

People say "The idea of never just upsets me. I get overwhelmed. It's too daunting, way too unrealistic." That stuff screams AV. Sure it's daunting because the addiction wants to live and thrive!!! But it's not daunting forever, not even close. The relief that comes with cutting it off at its knees is immediate...it was for me. I'm not interested in hanging on not drinking a day at a time. That sounds really unfun. Does someone else's beast want to hear that? Hellz no it doesn't.
like i said alcoholics are always right, what ever it is they believe in.

the thing i love most about aa is it has no opinions on outside bodys, doesnt engage at all with controversy and its a hell of a way to try to live my own life as i am an alcoholic and i love to be right.

i can dream up all sorts of answers to try to prove others wrong as i want to be seen as being right thats my motive as i must be right
but the answer is leave it alone enjoy the peace by leaving things alone than sticking my ore in : ) and showing the world just how much of a fool i am but still i am right : )