Thread: What next?
View Single Post
Old 06-30-2014, 05:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
c0rrine

What next?

I'm new to this site and in need of some advice! My husband has been sober for 2 1/2 years. Initially, he relapsed (2-3?) times before getting to the first 30 days. I was pregnant at the time, and finally told him that we would be separating if he continued to drink. After that, he really got his act together, and began attending AA meetings consistently.

Fast forward to today. I came home for a short, unexpected work break and found my husband passed out with an open bottle of vodka next to him. My son was awake and laying on the couch watching a movie. I immediately got my son into bed while my husband insisted that it was his friend who brought it over and that he would never drink. I demanded he take a breathalyzer, even though I already knew the answer. It's the only way he would own up to the drinking. He blew a .05. He knew the consequences, and continued to beg for forgiveness, he would never do it again, etc. I felt like I needed to stick with my ultimatum, so he is currently staying at a friends house.

My question is, did I do the right thing? What's next? He spoke with his sponsor and says he will be attending meetings again more consistently. I know he feels horrible and wants to be sober and with his family. How much time being separated should I give (assuming he is showing effort/success with sobriety)?