Thread: big plan
View Single Post
Old 06-30-2014, 05:04 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Croissant

Originally Posted by freshstart57 View Post
An AVRT 'Big Plan' has been called 'The Final Decision' which I think is a more descriptive way to phrase it. It describes a personal, solemn and fully considered vow to never use alcohol again. It is a covenant between you and your future. My signature file has a version.

At first, for my Big Plan, I said 'I will never now drink', as I was working on mindfulness and being present in this moment. Now, I say 'I will never drink again, and I will never change my mind'. So Big Plans can change in the words you choose to describe them, but the meaning is the same.

To make mine, I first got rid of any idea that having a drink would ever be the right thing for me to do. I did a cost benefit analysis by making lists of reasons to drink, reasons not to do it, reasons to be sober, and reasons to ever drink again. I listed things I could only ever do or be if I never drank again. I tried to imagine every emotion or feeling I might have and chose to be sober in advance of these. Then I looked forward with acceptance and understanding of my present reality, and realized that I could drink or have a life worth living, but I could not have both. Finally, I wrapped all of this in a moral framework by considering how wrong I could see drinking again to be. I mixed taking another drink with betrayal, fraud, theft, and even murder - all of these things would or could come to pass as a direct result of me taking a drink.

As you can see, it is a simple declaration, but it needs plenty of thought and acceptance.

So, Leviathan, are you ready to make your plan about using alcohol, your Big Plan?
Freshstart, so lovely of you to actually go to the trouble of outlining what you actually did in order to demonstrate to leviathan what it is and how to apply it.