View Single Post
Old 06-25-2014, 12:06 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
FeenixxRising

Originally Posted by soberlicious View Post
Samseb, one doesn't need to completely understand exactly how each part of the brain functions to be able to apply AVRT. By Trimpey's own admission, it's a very simplified model of how the brain works. The key for me was the split, because much like the Buddhist approached to dealing with hindrances, AVRT teaches the split as a technique enabling one to become the observer of the desire or craving, to stand at a distance and not act on it, but rather watch it come, watch it go.

For me, the purpose of the approach is not to actually believe there is a beast, or to think I'm literally of two separate minds, but rather a technique (the T in AVRT) for stopping a behavior. It's actually an age old technique. Trimpey tweaked this approach based on what he learned from the self-recovered population.
Samseb, Soberlicious expressed it better than I would have. Usually, I'm all about understanding the details behind a technique, but I just accepted that AVRT would work. I was a little biased though because long before I heard of AVRT, I had used something similar to quit smoking. So when I was exposed to AVRT, I had a bit of an ah-hah moment, and thought, "I vaguely recognize this, and I know this does work".