View Single Post
Old 06-23-2014, 05:12 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Nonsensical
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by samseb5351 View Post
What did you learn about the RR description of addiction that made sense to you on a personal level?
Not pertaining directly to the quote you provided, but to the AVRT approach in general, I found it instrumental to differentiate between my addiction and my self. Before recognizing this difference I knew I needed to stop drinking, but I also had a seemingly endless compulsion to drink. I didn't understand this constant battle in my head and that lack of understanding increased my anxiety and perpetuated the problem.

AVRT/RR offers a simplified version of what is really going on in an addicted person's brain. I like 8-syllable words and additional detail so I did additional research, but not everyone wants or needs the long version of the game plan: When addicted, a part of the brain over which we have no direct control in terms of its particular function (the Beast), compels us to seek our substance of choice. Our superior frontal cortex (the Self), wherein lies our reasoning, inhibitions, logic, decision-making, etc., needs to recognize that compulsion for what it is, and refuse to act on it.

This made eminent sense to me on a personal level.